What Is Vagifem?
(estradiol vaginal tablets
) is a prescription medication that contains an estrogen hormone. It is used to treat dryness, itching, and burning in and around the vagina, usually in postmenopausal women. It is inserted vaginally using a special applicator.
Who Makes It?
Vagifem is made by Novo Nordisk.
How Does Vagifem Work?
Vagifem tablets contain estradiol, the main estrogen hormone produced by the ovaries before menopause
. This medication helps relieve menopausal symptoms by replacing the estradiol that the ovaries no longer produce. It is a good alternative to hormone replacement therapy
taken by mouth, especially in women who only have vaginal menopausal symptoms. Vagifem does not provide enough estrogen to treat other non-vaginal menopause symptoms
(such as hot flashes
) in most women.
When and How to Use It
General considerations for when and how to use Vagifem include the following:
- Each tablet comes packaged in a single-use, disposable applicator tube. The applicator is inserted vaginally (much like a tampon), and the tablet is released by pushing the plunger.
- Your Vagifem package comes with detailed instructions on how to use the tablets.
- Dispose of the applicator just as you would a plastic tampon applicator (do not flush it).
- Vagifem is typically used daily for the first two weeks; after that, it is usually used just twice a week.
- If you accidentally release the tablet from the applicator before inserting it vaginally, do not try to replace the tablet into the applicator. Simply throw it away and use a new one.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.