Basic Information on Prometrium
Interested in a Discount on Prometrium?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
General considerations for when and how to use Prometrium include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth once a day at bedtime.
- For hormone replacement therapy, Prometrium is taken 12 days in a row during each 28-day cycle of estrogen medication. You may not have regular periods while taking the drug.
- For causing periods in women before menopause, Prometrium is taken for 10 days.
- You can take the medication with or without food. If Prometrium bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
The dose of Prometrium your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Prometrium Dosage for more information.)
As with any medicine, Prometrium can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most women tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects include but are not limited to:
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) or cramping
- Breast pain or tenderness.
(Click Prometrium Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)