Prempro alternatives may be considered if the medication is causing bothersome side effects or is not adequately controlling symptoms of menopause. In these situations, alternatives include other medications, non-drug treatments, and natural remedies. If the risks Prempro presents to you outweigh the benefits the medication can provide, talk to your healthcare provider about possible Prempro alternatives.
An Introduction to Prempro AlternativesPrempro™ (conjugated estrogens/medroxyprogesterone) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. It is often used to treat symptoms of menopause, although it is also approved for osteoporosis prevention in postmenopausal women. For most women, the drug is effective and well tolerated. However, as with all medicines, bothersome or dangerous side effects can occur, or Prempro may not adequately control symptoms. Also, for some women, the risks of taking the drug may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, several alternatives to Prempro are available, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Coping strategies
- Natural remedies.
Other Conventional Medications as Prempro Alternatives
Prempro contains both an estrogen and a progestin hormone. Other estrogen/progestin combination hormone replacement therapy medications include:
Premphase is similar to Prempro, except that it contains a progestin for only the last half of each cycle, instead of for the whole cycle. Premphase is a good option for women who prefer to have a regular monthly period.
Other options include medications that combine an estrogen and a testosterone, such as Covaryx™ or Estratest®.
For women without a uterus (those who have had a hysterectomy), estrogen without a progestin is a good option, as the progestin component is usually considered unnecessary for such women. These estrogen-only Prempro alternatives include:
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia™, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.