If you are taking Premphase and the medication is causing bothersome side effects or is not adequately controlling your symptoms, alternatives to Premphase are available. These include other conventional medications, coping strategies, and natural remedies. Although medications are not always the answer for treating symptoms of menopause, there is insufficient information available on whether natural Premphase alternatives are as safe as conventional medications.
An Overview of Premphase AlternativesPremphase® (conjugated estrogens/cyclic medroxyprogesterone) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. Most often, it is used to treat symptoms of menopause, although it is also approved for osteoporosis prevention in postmenopausal women. For most women, Premphase is effective and well tolerated. However, as with all medicines, bothersome or dangerous side effects can occur, or Premphase may not adequately control your symptoms. Also, for some women, the risks of taking the drug may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, several alternatives to Premphase are available, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Natural remedies
- Coping strategies.
Other Conventional Medications as Premphase SubstitutesPremphase contains estrogen and progestin. Only a few other hormone replacement medications also contain both types of hormones, such as:
Prempro is similar to Premphase, except it contains a progestin for the entire cycle, instead of just the last half of each cycle. Prempro is a good alternative to Premphase for women who prefer not to have regular monthly periods.
Some women may also benefit from alternative Premphase medications that combine estrogen plus a testosterone, such as Covaryx™ or Estratest®.
Last, for women without a uterus (those who have had a hysterectomy), estrogen without a progestin is a good option, as the progestin component is usually considered unnecessary for such women. These estrogen-only Premphase alternatives include:
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia™, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Skin gels, creams, or lotions -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.