Does Everyone Take the Same Amount of Premarin?
Premarin Dosing for Low Estrogen in Younger WomenThe recommended starting dosage of Premarin for estrogen replacement in younger women who have low estrogen levels (due to a variety of causes) is 0.3 mg or 0.625 mg once daily. In severe cases, such as if the ovaries have been surgically removed or if the ovaries have stopped working altogether, a higher starting dosage (1.25 mg once daily) may be necessary. In all cases, your healthcare provider may increase or decrease your dosage as necessary.
For these uses, Premarin should be given cyclically (usually three weeks on, followed by one week off). This will help mimic the natural hormonal changes that occur with the menstrual cycle and will usually cause regular monthly periods.
Premarin Dosing for CancerFor relieving symptoms of breast cancer that has spread throughout the body (in both men and women), the recommended dose of Premarin is very high -- 10 mg three times daily for at least three months. For relieving symptoms of prostate cancer, the recommended dosage is 1.25 mg to 3 mg three times daily.
General Information on Taking PremarinSome considerations for people using Premarin include the following:
- Premarin comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- Premarin can be taken continuously (every single day, with no breaks) or cyclically (with periodic breaks every once in a while). Your healthcare provider will help you decide which way is best for you.
- You can take Premarin with food or on an empty stomach. If Premarin bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- It does not matter what time of day you take Premarin, although it is best to take it at the same time each day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Premarin dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.