Is Premarin My Only Option?
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as Premarin substitutes. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia™, Estrace, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro®
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®.
Many women choose to use natural remedies as alternatives to prescription medications for menopause treatment. These remedies include:
- Natural estrogens
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (also known as natural hormone replacement therapy)
- Herbal supplements
- Phytoestrogens (so-called plant estrogens).
At this time, there isn't enough scientific evidence to determine whether these therapies are beneficial. In addition, there is insufficient information available to prove whether these therapies are as safe or safer than the conventional drugs used for menopause symptoms, osteoporosis, or heart disease.