Specific Substitutes for Ogen
Many different estrogen medications can serve as alternatives to Ogen. These medications are available in several forms, including:
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are combination products, which combine estrogen with other hormones, such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.
Many women choose natural remedies as alternatives to prescription medications for menopause treatment. These remedies include:
- Herbal supplements
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (also known as natural hormone replacement therapy)
- Phytoestrogens (so-called plant estrogens).
At this time, there isn't enough scientific evidence to determine whether these therapies are beneficial. In addition, insufficient information is available to prove whether these therapies are as safe (or safer) than the conventional drugs used for menopause symptoms or osteoporosis.