Menopause Home > Vivelle-Dot Overdose
If you happen to overdose on Vivelle-Dot, overdose symptoms may include nausea and vomiting. The specific effects of an overdose will vary, depending on the dosage and how the medication was taken (whether it was taken by mouth or applied to the skin). If necessary, treatment for a Vivelle-Dot overdose will include supportive care.
Vivelle-Dot® (estradiol patch) is a prescription hormone replacement medication typically used to treat menopausal symptoms. Fortunately, a Vivelle-Dot overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems. Even in cases when young children overdosed on estrogens similar to Vivelle-Dot, no serious problems occurred.
If you happen to overdose on Vivelle-Dot, please seek immediate medical attention.
While not typically serious, the effects of a Vivelle-Dot overdose may vary depending on a number of factors, including the Vivelle-Dot dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth). Estrogens (such as the one in Vivelle-Dot) can be irritating to the stomach, and an overdose is likely to cause nausea and vomiting (especially if the patch is chewed on or eaten, as may be possible with pets or even children).
Temporary vaginal bleeding is possible but is usually not a sign of anything serious.
It is not known how to best treat a Vivelle-Dot overdose. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. In many cases, treatment may not be necessary (although medical attention is still needed to rule out any problems).
Even though a Vivelle-Dot overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on Vivelle-Dot.