Menopause Home > Other Substitutes for Vivelle-Dot
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as alternatives to Vivelle-Dot. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Other skin patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.
Many women choose to use natural remedies as alternatives to prescription medications for menopause treatment. These remedies include:
- Herbal supplements
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (also known as natural hormone replacement therapy)
- Phytoestrogens (so-called plant estrogens).
At this time, there isn't enough scientific evidence to determine whether these therapies are beneficial. In addition, there is insufficient information available to prove whether these therapies are as safe as (or safer than) the conventional drugs used for menopause symptoms, osteoporosis, or heart disease.