Menopause Home > Vagifem Dosage
For women who are using Vagifem for vaginal menopause symptoms, there is one standard dosage. For the first two weeks of treatment, the dosage is one Vagifem tablet inserted vaginally once daily. After two weeks, the dose is reduced to one tablet twice a week. Vagifem should only be used as long as necessary.
Vagifem Dosage: An Introduction
Vagifem Dosage for Vaginal SymptomsThe standard recommended Vagifem dosage for treating vaginal menopause symptoms is one tablet inserted vaginally once daily for the first two weeks. After that, the dose is reduced to one tablet twice weekly.
Previously, Vagifem came in two different strengths (10 mcg and 25 mcg). It was recommended that most women start with the lower dose and switch to the higher dose only if necessary. However, the 25-mcg strength is no longer being made, leaving only the low-dose option available.
Healthcare providers often recommend that hormone replacement therapy medications (including Vagifem) be used only as long as necessary. Therefore, your healthcare provider may recommend that you occasionally try to stop the drug to see if you still need to take it.
General Information on Your Vagifem DosageConsiderations for women using Vagifem include the following:
- Each Vagifem tablet comes packaged in a single-use, disposable applicator tube. The applicator is inserted vaginally (much like a tampon), and the tablet is released by pushing the plunger.
- Your Vagifem package comes with detailed instructions on how to use the tablets.
- Dispose of the applicator just as you would a plastic tampon applicator (do not flush it).
- Vagifem is typically used daily for the first two weeks; after that, it is generally used just twice a week.
- If you accidentally release the tablet from the applicator before inserting it vaginally, do not try to replace the tablet into the applicator. Simply throw it away and use a new one.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Vagifem dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.