Menopause Home > Basic Information on Prometrium
When and How to Use ItGeneral considerations for when and how to use Prometrium include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth once a day at bedtime.
- For hormone replacement therapy, Prometrium is taken 12 days in a row during each 28-day cycle of estrogen medication. You may not have regular periods while taking the drug.
- For causing periods in women before menopause, Prometrium is taken for 10 days.
- You can take the medication with or without food. If Prometrium bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Prometrium your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have.
Side Effects of PrometriumAs with any medicine, Prometrium can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most women tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) or cramping
- Breast pain or tenderness.