Menopause Home > Premphase Dosage
There is only one Premphase dosage, and there is only one standard way to take this medication. For women who are using the drug to treat menopause symptoms or to prevent osteoporosis, the recommended Premphase dose is one tablet, taken once a day. Because half of the 28-day cycle of Premphase tablets includes a progestin hormone, you will probably have regular bleeding every month, similar to a regular menstrual period.
Premphase Dosage: An IntroductionThere is only one standard dose of Premphase® (conjugated estrogens/cyclic medroxyprogesterone). As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Premphase Dosage for Menopause or Osteoporosis PreventionThe recommended Premphase dosage for menopause treatment or osteoporosis prevention is one tablet taken every day. Premphase comes in a special package with two different types of tablets. The first 14 (maroon) tablets contain just the estrogen (0.625 mg conjugated estrogens), while the last 14 (light blue) tablets contain estrogen (0.625 mg conjugated estrogens) and progestin (5 mg medroxyprogesterone acetate).
Taking the medroxyprogesterone for only the last half of each cycle usually results in a regular monthly "period." If you prefer to stop having periods, a similar medication that contains medroxyprogesterone throughout the whole cycle (Prempro™) may be a better choice for you.
If you use Premphase for menopausal symptoms, your healthcare provider should periodically reevaluate your need to take the drug every three to six months, and you should take Premphase only as long as necessary.
General Information on Your Premphase DosageConsiderations for people using Premphase include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Premphase with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- It does not matter what time of day you take Premphase, although it is best to take it at the same time each day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Premphase dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.