Menopause Home > Minivelle Overdose
While an overdose of Minivelle is unlikely to cause serious problems, you should still seek medical attention if you think you have used too much. An overdose could cause symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, and vaginal bleeding. Treatment will likely involve removing the extra patches and treating the symptoms that have occurred as a result.
Minivelle™ (estradiol patch) is a prescription hormone replacement medication, typically used to relieve symptoms of menopause. Fortunately, a Minivelle overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems. Even in cases when young children overdosed on estrogens similar to Minivelle, no serious problems occurred.
While not typically serious, the effects of an overdose with Minivelle can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Minivelle dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth). Estrogens, such as the one in Minivelle, can be irritating to the stomach. Thus, an overdose is likely to cause nausea and vomiting, especially if the patch is chewed on or eaten, which may be possible with pets or even children.
Temporary vaginal bleeding is possible, but is not usually a sign of anything serious.
If the overdose occurred as the result of applying too many patches, the first thing to do is remove all the patches. Beyond that, it is not known how best to treat a Minivelle overdose.
Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. In many cases, treatment may not be necessary, although medical attention is still needed to rule out any problems.
Even though an overdose with Minivelle is unlikely to cause serious problems, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this drug.