Menopause Home > Menostar Overdose
Although a Menostar overdose is not likely to be dangerous, it could cause nausea, vomiting, or temporary vaginal bleeding. The actual effects of an overdose will depend on how the drug was taken (whether it was applied to the skin, chewed, or eaten) and how much was consumed. In the event that you do overdose on Menostar, overdose treatment will typically involve supportive care.
Menostar® (estradiol patch) is a prescription hormone replacement medication approved for osteoporosis prevention. While not typically serious, the effects of a Menostar overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Menostar dosage and how it was taken (by mouth or applied to the skin).
If you suspect that you or someone else may have overdosed on Menostar, please seek immediate medical attention.
A Menostar overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems, even in young children. Estrogens (such as the one in Menostar) can be irritating to the stomach, and an overdose is likely to cause nausea and vomiting, especially if the patch is chewed on or eaten, as may be possible with young children or pets.
Temporary vaginal bleeding is also possible in females (even young girls), but is not usually a sign of anything serious.
It is not known how to best treat a Menostar overdose. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. In many cases, treatment may not be necessary, although medical attention is still needed to rule out any problems.
Even though a Menostar overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems, you should still seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of the drug.