Menopause Home > Femtrace Side Effects
While most women do not experience any problems with Femtrace, side effects can still occur. This medication has been known to cause several side effects, such as vaginal bleeding, breast tenderness, and the flu. Femtrace can also cause serious side effects. Notify your healthcare provider right away if you develop serious side effects of Femtrace, such as chest pain, vision changes, or signs of an allergic reaction.
An Introduction to Femtrace Side EffectsAs with any medicine, Femtrace® (estradiol acetate) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes Femtrace will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Femtrace. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Femtrace side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of FemtraceFemtrace has been thoroughly studied in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in another group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Femtrace side effects included:
- Vaginal bleeding -- in up to 7.4 percent of women
- Breast tenderness -- up to 6.3 percent
- The flu -- up to 4.2 percent
- Vaginal discharge -- up to 4 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 3.2 percent
- Bleeding or spotting between menstrual periods -- up to 3.2 percent
- Fungal infections -- up to 3 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- up to 3 percent
- Back pain -- up to 3 percent
- Nausea -- up to 2.3 percent
- Bronchitis -- up to 2 percent.