Menopause Home > Femring Side Effects
Vaginal yeast infections, breast tenderness, and headaches are some of the most common side effects that have been reported with Femring. Side effects tend to be minor, but it is possible to develop serious problems that may require medical attention. Some of the rare but serious side effects of Femring that should be immediately reported to your healthcare provider include blood clots, dementia, and allergic reactions.
An Introduction to Femring Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Femring® (estradiol vaginal ring). However, not everyone who takes Femring will experience side effects. In fact, most women tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Femring. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Femring side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of FemringFemring has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in another group of people taking a placebo (in this case, a similar vaginal ring that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Femring side effects included:
- Vaginal yeast infections -- in up to 10.7 percent of women
- Breast tenderness -- up to 10.7 percent
- Headaches -- up to 9.8 percent
- Unexpected vaginal bleeding -- up to 9.8 percent
- Bloating -- up to 7.1 percent
- Back pain -- up to 6.2 percent
- Uterine pain (such as menstrual-like cramps) -- up to 4.5 percent
- Sinus infections -- up to 3.6 percent
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs, such as a bladder infection) -- up to 3.6 percent.