Menopause Home > Evamist Alternatives
Although most women respond well to Evamist, alternatives for the medication are available if the medication does not adequately control your symptoms or if you experience bothersome side effects. Some of the alternatives to Evamist include other conventional medications, natural remedies, and non-drug treatments (such as coping strategies). If the risks of taking Evamist outweigh the benefits, talk to your healthcare provider about possible alternatives.
Alternatives to Evamist: An OverviewEvamist® (estradiol transdermal spray) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. The drug is approved to treat hot flashes and night sweats due to menopause. It is the first estrogen hormone replacement therapy available in the form of a skin spray.
Most women respond well to Evamist spray. However, for some women, the risks of taking Evamist may outweigh the potential benefits, bothersome or serious Evamist side effects may occur, or Evamist may not work as well as desired. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Evamist for menopause treatment, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Natural remedies
- Coping strategies.
Other Conventional Medications as Evamist Alternatives
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as alternatives to Evamist. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Skin patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Vaginal creams -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.
Natural Remedies as Evamist Alternatives
Many women choose to use natural remedies as alternatives to prescription medications for menopause treatment. These remedies include:
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (also known as natural hormone replacement therapy)
- Herbal supplements
- Phytoestrogens (so-called plant estrogens).
At this time, there is not enough scientific evidence to determine whether these therapies are beneficial. In addition, there is insufficient information available to prove whether these therapies are as safe as or safer than the conventional drugs used for menopause symptoms.