Menopause Home > Options Other Than EstroGel
Other Conventional Medications as EstroGel Alternatives
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as EstroGel alternatives. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Other gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®
- Skin patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.
Coping Strategies as EstroGel Alternatives
Medications are not always the answer to all menopause symptoms. If you cannot take EstroGel or other estrogen medications (or if you desire to avoid such medications), you may want to try other, non-drug ways to deal with the symptoms. Getting regular exercise and eating a healthy diet can work wonders for some menopause symptoms. Any measures to improve your overall health will likely help to improve your menopause symptoms as well. Also, there are a variety of vaginal lubricants and moisturizers currently available that can help provide relief from vaginal dryness and irritation. Some are even designed especially for menopausal women.
(For more ideas on ways to cope with menopause symptoms, see Menopause Relief.)