Menopause Home > Estring Overdose
Although an Estring overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems, you should seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much of the medication. However, due to the nature of the product, it would be difficult to overdose on Estring. In some cases, small children or pets could chew on Estring, possibly causing an estrogen overdose.
An Overview of an Estring OverdoseEstring® (estradiol vaginal ring) is a prescription medication used to treat certain menopause symptoms. It comes as a small, flexible ring that is inserted vaginally and kept in place for 90 days. The effects of an Estring overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Estring dosage, how it was taken (by mouth or vaginally), and whether it was taken with any other substances or medications.
If you or someone else happens to overdose on Estring, seek immediate medical attention.
Effects of an Estring OverdoseAn Estring overdose is unlikely, due to the nature of the product. If a woman forgets to change the ring after 90 days, this results in an underdose, rather than an overdose, as the ring starts to release less medication after 90 days. It is unlikely that a woman would insert a new ring without removing the old one. However, it is possible that pets or small children might chew on Estring, possibly resulting in an estrogen overdose.
Fortunately, an overdose of Estring is unlikely to cause problems, for several reasons. There is only a small amount of estradiol (2 mg) total in each ring. Even in cases where young children inadvertently took large doses of estrogens (such as the one in Estring), no serious problems were reported.
An overdose on estrogens such as Estring can cause the following symptoms:
- Breast tenderness
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Drowsiness and fatigue
- Vaginal bleeding (in females).