Menopause Home > Estrasorb Alternatives
If your menopause symptoms do not improve or if you develop any side effects while using Estrasorb, alternatives to the medication are available. Other estrogen medicines, as well as combination products (containing estrogen and other hormones), can be used to relieve menopausal symptoms. Other Estrasorb alternatives include natural remedies and coping strategies.
Estrasorb® (estradiol emulsion) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. It is an emulsion (a lotion) that is applied to the skin of the legs once a day. It is approved to treat hot flashes and night sweats due to menopause. It is not approved for other symptoms, such as vaginal dryness or irritation. For many women, the risks of taking Estrasorb may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Estrasorb for menopause treatment, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Natural remedies
- Coping strategies.
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as alternatives to Estrasorb. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Other gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, EstroGel®
- Vaginal creams or emulsions -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Skin patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.