Menopause Home > Estraderm Warnings and Precautions
It is important to tell your healthcare provider about all other medical conditions you have, including high cholesterol, heart disease, or diabetes, before using Estraderm. Warnings and precautions also include avoiding Estraderm if you are pregnant and watching out for potential drug interactions. You should not use Estraderm at all if you have liver disease, a history of breast cancer, or undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding.
This drug has been discontinued by its manufacturer and is no longer available. This was not due to any safety concerns but was a business decision. Other brands of estradiol patches remain available.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Estraderm® (estradiol patch) or any other estrogen medication if you have:
- Heart disease or heart problems of any kind
- Cancer (or if you have had cancer in the past)
- Had a heart attack or stroke, especially within the past year
- Had a blood clot, including blood clots in the legs and lungs
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- High cholesterol or high triglycerides
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Gallbladder disease
- Had yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice) during a prior pregnancy or estrogen use
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE, or lupus)
- Hepatic hemangioma (a kind of liver tumor)
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, hepatitis, or liver tumors
- Porphyria (a condition involving problems with certain enzymes in the body)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- An underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
- Any allergies, including allergies to drugs, foods, preservatives, or dyes.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Smoke cigarettes
- Have an upcoming surgery
- Are breastfeeding
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant.
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.