Menopause Home > Specific Substitutes for Estrace
Other Conventional Medications as Estrace Alternatives
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as alternatives to Estrace. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.
Natural Remedies as Estrace Alternatives
Many women choose to use natural remedies as alternatives to prescription medications for menopause treatment. These remedies include:
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (also known as natural hormone replacement therapy)
- Herbal supplements
- Phytoestrogens (so-called plant estrogens).
At this time, there is not enough scientific evidence to determine whether these therapies are beneficial. In addition, there is insufficient information available to prove whether these therapies are as safe or safer than the conventional drugs used for treating menopause symptoms.