Menopause Home > Elestrin Dosage
The usual starting Elestrin dosage for treating menopause symptoms is one pump of the gel applied once daily. Each pump is designed to provide exactly the same dose each time, 0.87 grams of gel. If your symptoms do not improve, your healthcare provider may increase your Elestrin dose as necessary.
The dose of Elestrin™ (estradiol gel) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your menopause symptoms
- How you respond to Estrace
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your Estrace dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For treating menopause symptoms, the usual starting Elestrin dose is one pump of Elestrin gel applied once daily. Each depression of the Elestrin pump delivers the same dose each time (0.87 grams of gel, which contains 0.52 mg of estradiol). Your healthcare provider may increase your dose if necessary to control your symptoms. It is typically recommended that this medication be used for the shortest period of time possible.
If you still have a uterus, you should take Elestrin with a progestin hormone, in order to reduce the risk of precancerous and cancerous uterine changes. If you have had a hysterectomy, you do not have to take progesterone along with Elestrin.
Some considerations for people using Elestrin include the following:
- Elestrin comes as a gel that is applied to the skin once daily.
- Elestrin comes in a pump that is designed to provide exactly the same dose each time. The first time you use the pump, prime it by fully depressing the pump 10 times, discarding any gel that comes out. The pump is now ready to use.
- After washing your hands, apply the Elestrin to one upper arm and shoulder using just two fingers. Spread it and gently rub it in over the entire upper arm and shoulder. Be sure to let it dry before getting dressed. Switch sides daily, in order to prevent skin irritation.
- Make sure to apply Elestrin to clean, dry, unbroken skin. Never apply it to the breast or vagina.
- Apply Elestrin at the same time each day. If you shower, bathe, or use a sauna daily, apply the gel just after such activities. Try to leave as much time as possible (at least two hours) between applying the gel and going swimming.
- If you use sunscreen, wait at least 25 minutes before applying sunscreen to the area after applying Elestrin. Do not apply sunscreen to the area of application for more than seven days in a row.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water after applying Elestrin.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Elestrin dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.