Menopause Home > Alternatives to Elestrin
If your menopause symptoms do not improve or if you develop any bothersome side effects while using Elestrin, alternatives to the medicated gel are available. Common alternatives include other conventional medications, natural remedies, and coping strategies. Medication alternatives to Elestrin may include other estrogen products or combination drugs that contain both estrogen and other hormones.
Elestrin™ (estradiol gel) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. It is a gel that is applied to the skin of the upper arm and shoulder. It is approved to treat hot flashes and night sweats due to menopause, but it is not approved for other menopause symptoms. For some women, the risks of using Elestrin may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Elestrin for menopause treatment, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Coping strategies
- Natural remedies.
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as Elestrin substitutes. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Other gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, EstroGel®, Estrasorb®
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Skin patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.