Menopause Home > Depo-Estradiol Uses
Depo-Estradiol is primarily used for treating several conditions and symptoms that result from the ovaries not producing estrogen. Some of these Depo-Estradiol uses include treating menopausal symptoms (such as hot flashes and night sweats) and treating a hormone deficiency in younger women whose ovaries no longer produce estrogen. Depo-Estradiol is also sometimes used off-label by men who are undergoing a sex reassignment process ("sex change").
What Is Depo-Estradiol Used For?Depo®-Estradiol (estradiol cypionate) is a prescription medication that contains an estrogen hormone. It is approved for the following uses:
- Treatment of menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes and night sweats
- Treatment of hormone deficiency in younger women whose ovaries do not produce enough estrogen (or who have had their ovaries removed).
Depo-Estradiol Use for MenopauseMenopause is a normal change in a woman's life when she stops having her period. Technically, a woman has reached menopause when she has not had a period for 12 months in a row and there are no other causes for this change. Menopause symptoms include:
- Hot flashes (hot flushes)
- Night sweats and sleeping problems (including insomnia)
- Vaginal changes, such as dryness or irritation
- Changes in your period, including abnormal bleeding or "spotting"
- Thinning and weakening of your bones
- Problems with concentration or memory
- Less interest in sex and changes in sexual response
- Mood changes
- Urinary problems
- Weight gain or an increase in body fat around your waist
- Hair thinning or loss.
For some women, these symptoms are quite severe, and some form of menopause relief may be necessary. This may include medications, natural menopause relief remedies, or non-medical ways to deal with the symptoms. Depo-Estradiol is approved to treat moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms, which include hot flashes and night sweats (but not other kinds of menopause symptoms).
For menopause treatment, Depo-Estradiol should be used at the lowest effective dose for the shortest period necessary.