Menopause Home > Depo-Estradiol Alternatives
If you develop bothersome side effects from Depo-Estradiol (estradiol cypionate) or if the medication is not adequately controlling your symptoms, there are several alternatives available. Some of the Depo-Estradiol alternatives include other conventional medications, coping strategies, and natural remedies. While medications may not help with all menopause symptoms, any measures to improve your overall health will likely help to improve your menopause symptoms as well.
Depo-Estradiol Alternatives: An OverviewDepo®-Estradiol (estradiol cypionate) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. It is often used for treating menopause symptoms. Depo-Estradiol is not suitable for all women. For some women, Depo-Estradiol may not work well or the risks of taking the medication may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Depo-Estradiol for menopause treatment, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Coping strategies
- Natural remedies.
Other Conventional Medications as Depo-Estradiol Alternatives
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as alternatives to Depo-Estradiol. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Other injections -- Delestrogen®
- Skin patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.
Coping Strategies as Depo-Estradiol Alternatives
Medications are not always the answer to all menopause symptoms. If you cannot take Depo-Estradiol or other estrogen medications (or if you desire to avoid such medications), you may want to try other, non-drug ways to deal with the symptoms. Getting regular exercise and eating a healthy diet can work wonders for some menopause symptoms. Any measures to improve your overall health will likely help to improve your menopause symptoms as well. Also, there are a variety of vaginal lubricants and moisturizers currently available that can help provide relief from vaginal dryness and irritation. Some are even designed especially for menopausal women.
(For more ideas on ways to cope with menopause symptoms, see Menopause Relief.)