Menopause Home > Delestrogen Uses
Delestrogen is used for treating menopausal symptoms, replacing estrogen for younger women with hormone deficiencies, and reducing the symptoms of advanced prostate cancer. In the past, healthcare providers have recommended off-label Delestrogen uses, such as preventing heart disease and dementia, but these are no longer considered legitimate off-label uses. Delestrogen, however, can be used off-label in men who are going through a sex change.
What Is Delestrogen Used For?Delestrogen® (estradiol valerate) is a prescription medication that contains an estrogen hormone. It is approved for the following uses:
- Treatment of menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal symptoms
- Treatment of hormone deficiency in younger women whose ovaries do not produce enough estrogen (or who have had their ovaries removed)
- Reduction of the symptoms of advanced prostate cancer.
Delestrogen Use for MenopauseMenopause is a normal change in a woman's life when she stops having her period. Technically, a woman has reached menopause when she has not had a period for 12 months in a row and there are no other causes for this change. Menopause symptoms include:
- Hot flashes (hot flushes)
- Night sweats and sleeping problems (including insomnia)
- Vaginal changes, such as dryness or irritation
- Changes in your period, including abnormal bleeding or "spotting"
- Thinning and weakening of your bones
- Problems with concentration or memory
- Less interest in sex and changes in sexual response
- Mood changes
- Urinary problems
- Weight gain or an increase in body fat around your waist
- Hair thinning or loss.
For some women, these symptoms are quite severe, and some form of menopause relief may be necessary. This may include medications, natural menopause relief remedies, or non-medical ways to deal with the symptoms. Delestrogen is approved to treat moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms, which include hot flashes and night sweats. It is also used to treat vaginal symptoms, such as irritation and dryness.
For menopause treatment, Delestrogen should be used at the lowest effective dose for the shortest period of time necessary.