For treating menopausal symptoms, there is only one standard EstroGel dosage. The recommended EstroGel dose is one pump once daily. The gel is applied to both the inner and outer arm, from the wrist to the shoulder. Generally, you should use EstroGel for the shortest period of time possible. If you still have a uterus, you should use also use a progestin hormone to reduce the risk of cancerous changes in the uterus.
EstroGel Dosage: An IntroductionThere is only one standard recommended dose for EstroGel® (estradiol gel). As always, do not adjust your EstroGel dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
It is typically recommended that this medication be taken for the shortest possible period of time. The recommended EstroGel dose is one pump (1.25 grams of gel, which contains 0.75 mg of estradiol) once daily.
If you still have a uterus, you should take EstroGel with a progestin hormone, in order to reduce the risk of precancerous and cancerous uterine changes. If you have had a hysterectomy, you do not have to take a progestin hormone along with EstroGel.
General EstroGel Dosing InformationSome considerations for people using EstroGel include the following:
- EstroGel comes as a gel that is applied to the skin once daily.
- The EstroGel pump is specially designed to provide the exact same dose every time. You must prime the pump the first time you use it by pumping twice (for the 93 gram pumps) or once (for the 50 or 25 gram pumps).
- Apply EstroGel at the same time each day. If you shower, bathe, or use a sauna daily, apply the gel just after these activities. If you swim on a regular basis, try to separate your EstroGel dose and swimming by as much time as possible.
- Make sure your skin is dry before applying EstroGel. Apply one pump of the gel from your wrist to shoulder (of one arm), on both the inner and outer arm. You don't need to rub it in or massage the gel, but you should let the gel dry (for up to five minutes) before dressing.
- Never apply EstroGel to the breast.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water after applying EstroGel.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your EstroGel dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.