If the risks outweigh the potential benefits of taking Estratest, alternatives to the medication may be considered. A variety of other conventional medications are available to choose from, including other combination products and estrogen-only drugs. Alternatives to Estratest can also include natural remedies, such as herbal supplements or acupuncture, and coping strategies.
Estratest® (esterified estrogens/methyltestosterone) is a prescription hormone replacement medication used to treat menopause symptoms. For some women, the risks of taking the drug may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, several alternatives to Estratest are available for menopause treatment, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Coping strategies
- Natural remedies.
Many other products combine estrogen with other hormones in addition to Estratest, such as:
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™.
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as substitutes for Estratest. These estrogens are available in several different forms, including:
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia™, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen Vaginal Cream®, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.