If your symptoms do not improve, or if you develop any side effects while taking Estraderm, alternatives to the medication should be considered. Several alternatives are available for menopause treatment, including natural remedies, other conventional medications, and coping strategies. Other estrogen products and combination medicines (that contain estrogen and other hormones) can be used as medication alternatives to Estraderm.
Estraderm® (estradiol patch) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. It comes as a skin patch that is changed twice a week. Although Estraderm is approved for several different uses, it is most often used to treat the symptoms of menopause. For some women, the risks of taking Estraderm may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Estraderm for menopause treatment, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Coping strategies
- Natural remedies.
This drug has been discontinued by its manufacturer and is no longer available. This was not due to any safety concerns but was a business decision. Other brands of estradiol patches remain available.
Other Conventional Medications as Estraderm Alternatives
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as Estraderm substitutes. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Other skin patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®.