Prescribing Guidelines and Treatment Tips for Estrace
Estrace Dosing for Osteoporosis PreventionStudies have shown that taking Estrace 0.5 mg once daily on a cyclical basis (23 days on, 5 days off) is effective for preventing osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. However, it is not known if this is the lowest effective Estrace dose for this use.
Estrace Dosing for Low Estrogen in Younger WomenThe recommended starting Estrace dose for estrogen replacement in younger women who have low estrogen levels (due to a variety of causes) is 1 mg to 2 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider may increase or decrease your dose as necessary.
For these uses, Estrace should be given cyclically (usually three weeks on, followed by one week off). This will help mimic the natural hormonal changes that occur with the menstrual cycle and will usually cause regular monthly periods.
Estrace Dosing for CancerFor relieving symptoms of breast cancer that has spread throughout the body (in both men and women), the recommended Estrace dose is very high -- 10 mg three times daily for at least three months. For relieving symptoms of prostate cancer, the recommended dose is 1 mg to 2 mg three times daily.
General Information on Estrace DosageSome considerations for people using Estrace include the following:
- Estrace comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Estrace with food or on an empty stomach. If Estrace bothers your stomach, try taking it with food, as some women find estrogens to be irritating to the stomach.
- Estrace can be taken cyclically (with periodic breaks every once in a while) or continuously (every single day, without any breaks). Your healthcare provider will help you decide which way is best for you.
- It does not matter what time of day you take Estrace, although it is best to take it at the same time each day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Estrace dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.