Elestrin is a prescription medication licensed to treat moderate to severe hot flashes or night sweats in menopausal women. It helps to relieve menopause symptoms by replacing the estrogen that the ovaries no longer produce. The medicine comes as a gel that is applied to the upper arm and shoulder once daily. Potential side effects include spotting, breast tenderness, and nasal or throat irritation.
Interested in a Discount on Elestrin?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
Elestrin™ (estradiol gel) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. It comes as a gel that is applied to the skin of the upper arm and shoulder once a day. Elestrin is approved to treat moderate to severe hot flashes or night sweats due to menopause.
(Click Elestrin Uses for more information on what it is used for, including possible off-label uses.)
Elestrin is made by Nycomed US, Inc.
Elestrin contains estradiol, the predominant estrogen in women prior to menopause. Although it is applied to the skin, the estradiol in Elestrin is absorbed through the skin and enters the bloodstream, reaching the entire body. Elestrin helps to relieve menopausal symptoms by replacing the estrogen that the ovaries no longer produce.
Some general considerations for when and how to use Elestrin include the following:
- Elestrin comes as a gel that is applied to the skin once daily.
- Elestrin comes in a pump that is designed to provide exactly the same dose each time. The first time you use the pump, prime it by fully depressing the pump 10 times, discarding any gel that comes out. The pump is now ready to use.
- After washing your hands, apply the Elestrin to one upper arm and shoulder using just two fingers. Spread it and gently rub it in over the entire upper arm and shoulder. Be sure to let it dry before getting dressed. Switch sides daily, in order to prevent skin irritation.
- Make sure to apply Elestrin to clean, dry, unbroken skin. Never apply it to the breast or vagina.
- Apply Elestrin at the same time each day. If you shower, bathe, or use a sauna daily, apply the gel just after such activities. Try to leave as much time as possible (at least two hours) between applying the gel and going swimming.
- If you use sunscreen, wait at least 25 minutes before applying sunscreen to the area after applying Elestrin. Do not apply sunscreen to the area of application for more than seven days in a row.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water after applying Elestrin.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.