The usual starting Divigel dosage for treating menopause symptoms is one 0.25 gram packet applied once daily. The medicated gel should be applied to the skin on your upper thigh at the same time each day. If your symptoms do not improve, your healthcare provider can increase your Divigel dose as needed.
The dose of Divigel® (estradiol gel) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Divigel
- The severity of your menopause symptoms
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your Divigel dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For treating menopause symptoms, the usual starting Divigel dose is one 0.25 gram packet (which contains 0.25 mg of estradiol) applied once daily. Your healthcare provider may increase your dose if necessary to control your symptoms. It is typically recommended that this medication be taken for the shortest possible period of time.
If you still have a uterus, you should take Divigel with a progestin hormone, in order to reduce the risk of precancerous and cancerous uterine changes. If you have had a hysterectomy, you do not have to take progesterone along with Divigel.
Some considerations for people using Divigel include the following:
- Divigel comes as a gel that is applied to the skin once daily.
- Divigel comes in small single-use packets. Each packet contains just one dose.
- After washing your hands, apply the entire packet of Divigel to the upper thigh and spread it over an area about the size of two palm prints. You don't need to rub it in, but you should let it dry before getting dressed. Switch between thighs daily, in order to prevent skin irritation.
- Make sure to apply Divigel to clean, dry, unbroken skin.
- Apply Divigel at the same time each day. If you shower, bathe, or use a sauna daily, apply the gel just after such activities.
- Never apply Divigel to the breast, face, or vagina.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water after applying Divigel.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Divigel dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.