If you prefer to not use a medicated gel like Divigel, alternatives are available. There are several different options for treating menopause symptoms, including coping strategies, natural remedies, and other conventional medications. Some of these medication alternatives to Divigel include other estrogen drugs and combination products that contain estrogen along with other hormones.
Divigel® (estradiol gel) is a prescription hormone replacement medication that is approved to treat hot flashes and night sweats due to menopause. It is a gel that is applied to the skin of the upper thigh. For some women, the risks of taking Divigel may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Divigel for menopause treatment, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Natural remedies
- Coping strategies.
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as alternatives to Divigel. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Other gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Elestrin™, EstroGel®, Estrasorb®
- Skin patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.