CombiPatch is used for treating moderate to severe night sweats, hot flashes, and vaginal dryness or irritation. It is also approved to treat hormone deficiency in younger women whose ovaries do not produce enough hormones. There are currently no legitimate off-label CombiPatch uses, and the medication is only approved for women who still have a uterus (who have not had a hysterectomy).
CombiPatch® (estradiol/norethindrone patch) is a prescription medication. It contains both an estrogen (estradiol) and a progestin (norethindrone) hormone in a skin patch. CombiPatch is approved for the following uses:
- Treatment of moderate to severe night sweats or hot flashes due to menopause
- Treatment of moderate to severe itching, burning, or dryness in or around the vagina due to menopause
- Hormone replacement in younger women whose ovaries do not produce enough hormones (or who have had their ovaries removed).
CombiPatch is approved only for women who still have a uterus (who have not had a hysterectomy). If you have had a hysterectomy, the norethindrone component is usually considered unnecessary.
Menopause is a normal change in a woman's life when she stops having her period. Technically, a woman has reached menopause when she has not had a period for 12 months in a row and there are no other causes for this change. Menopause symptoms include:
- Hot flashes (hot flushes)
- Night sweats and sleeping problems (including insomnia)
- Vaginal changes, such as dryness or irritation
- Changes in your period, including abnormal bleeding or "spotting"
- Mood changes
- Urinary problems
- Weight gain or increase in body fat around your waist
- Thinning and weakening of your bones
- Problems with concentration or memory
- Less interest in sex and changes in sexual response
- Hair thinning or loss.
For some women, these symptoms are quite severe, and some form of menopause relief may be necessary. This may include medications, natural menopause relief remedies, or non-medical ways to deal with the symptoms. CombiPatch is approved to treat moderate to severe vaginal symptoms and moderate to severe night sweats or hot flashes.
For menopause treatment, CombiPatch should be used at the lowest effective dose for the shortest period necessary.