Although a CombiPatch overdose is not likely to be dangerous, it could cause symptoms such as temporary vaginal bleeding, nausea, and vomiting. The actual effects of an overdose will depend on how much of the medicine was taken and how it was taken (whether it was eaten or applied to the skin). If you take too much CombiPatch, overdose treatment will likely involve supportive care.
CombiPatch® (estradiol/norethindrone patch) is a prescription hormone replacement medication that is typically used to treat menopause symptoms (although it is approved for a few other uses as well). It contains a progestin hormone (norethindrone) and an estrogen hormone (estradiol). Fortunately, overdoses with progestin and estrogen hormones -- such as the ones in CombiPatch -- are usually not serious.
If you or someone else happens to overdose on CombiPatch, please seek immediate medical attention.
While typically not dangerous, the results of a CombiPatch overdose may vary depending on a number of factors, including the CombiPatch dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth). Even in cases when young children overdosed on hormones similar to CombiPatch, no serious problems occurred.
Temporary vaginal bleeding is possible but is usually not a sign of anything serious. The hormones in CombiPatch can be irritating to the stomach, and an overdose is likely to cause nausea and vomiting (especially if the patch is chewed or eaten, as may be possible with pets or even young children).
Treatment, if necessary, will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. In many cases, treatment may not be necessary (although medical attention is still needed to rule out any problems).
Even though a CombiPatch overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on CombiPatch.