Climara is currently available in brand-name form and as a generic. Climara may contain different inactive ingredients than the generic form, but both versions have the same active ingredients and work the same way. Generic Climara patches are manufactured by Mylan Pharmaceuticals and are available in six different strengths.
Climara® (estradiol patch) is a prescription estrogen hormone replacement medication. It is approved for the following uses:
- Preventing osteoporosis in postmenopausal women
- Treating menopausal symptoms, such as vaginal dryness and hot flashes
- Replacing hormones in younger women whose ovaries do not produce enough estrogen.
Brand-name Climara is made by Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, Inc. However, the patents for Climara have expired, and Climara is currently available in generic form.
Generic Climara patches come in the following strengths:
- Estradiol patch 0.025 mg/24 hours
- Estradiol patch 0.0375 mg/24 hours
- Estradiol patch 0.05 mg/24 hours
- Estradiol patch 0.06 mg/24 hours
- Estradiol patch 0.075 mg/24 hours
- Estradiol patch 0.1 mg/24 hours.
The strength of estradiol patches is given in mg per day. In other words, an estradiol 0.025 mg/24 hours patch provides 0.025 mg of estradiol every day (for seven days).
Generic Climara patches are made by Mylan Pharmaceuticals.
All generic medications must undergo certain tests to compare them to brand-name medications. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) then looks at these tests to decide whether the generics are equivalent to the brand-name medications and assigns each generic a rating. An "AB" rating means that the FDA has determined that a generic medication is equivalent to a brand-name medication. The generic version of Climara has an "AB" rating, meaning it should be equivalent to Climara.
However, generic medications are allowed to have different inactive ingredients than the brand-name medication. This might include fillers or dyes or other ingredients that may cause problems for people with allergies or sensitivities.