If your symptoms do not improve with Climara, alternatives to the medication are available for treating menopausal symptoms. These alternatives may include natural remedies, coping strategies, and other conventional medicines. Common medication alternatives to Climara include other estrogen medicines and combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones).
Climara® (estradiol patch) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. Although Climara is approved for several different uses, it is most often used to treat the symptoms of menopause. For some women, the risks of taking Climara may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Climara for menopause treatment, including
- Other conventional medications
- Coping strategies
- Natural remedies.
There are many different estrogen medications that can serve as alternatives to Climara. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Other skin patches -- Alora®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia®, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, EsEstratest®
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™.