Specific Precautions and Warnings With Climara Pro
Warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to using Climara Pro
include the following:
- Let your healthcare provider know if you have abnormal vaginal bleeding (such as heavy bleeding or bleeding between periods) while taking Climara Pro, as this may be a sign of precancerous or cancerous changes in the uterus. Your healthcare provider can perform the tests necessary to rule out cancer.
- Estrogen/progestin drugs (like Climara Pro) may increase the risk of breast cancer. Proper screening and monitoring (as determined by your healthcare provider), such as yearly mammograms and monthly self breast exams, are recommended.
- Studies have also shown that estrogen plus progestin hormone replacement therapy increases the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots in the legs and lungs. In no case should Climara Pro be used to prevent heart disease (see Hormone Replacement Therapy and Heart Health), as it is not effective for this use.
- Your healthcare provider should make sure you are appropriately treated for any risk factors for heart disease, strokes, or blood clots (such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, lupus, or smoking) before you take Climara Pro.
- When possible, Climara Pro should be stopped four to six weeks before many surgeries in order to help prevent blood clots.
- Estrogen-containing drugs seem to increase the risk of dementia. In no case should Climara Pro be used to prevent or treat dementia (it is not effective for this use).
- Climara Pro should be used with caution in women who have low calcium levels in the blood (known medically as hypocalcemia).
- Women who take estrogen-containing medications like Climara Pro have an increased risk for gallbladder disease.
- Let your healthcare provider know right away if you notice any vision changes. This can signal a blood clot in the retina, one of the possible Climara Pro side effects.
- Climara Pro can cause high blood pressure (hypertension) or high triglycerides in some women. Your healthcare provider should monitor you for these problems during treatment.
- If you have had jaundice (yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin) due to estrogens or pregnancy in the past, Climara Pro could cause similar problems to recur. If this happens, your healthcare provider will probably advise you to stop taking the drug.
- If you have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), Climara Pro may increase your body's requirement for thyroid hormones. Your healthcare provider should monitor you and adjust the dose of your thyroid medications as necessary.
- Climara Pro may worsen epilepsy, porphyria, asthma, diabetes, migraine headaches, lupus, and hepatic hemangiomas.
- The medication can cause fluid retention, which can cause problems for women with congestive heart failure (CHF) or kidney problems.
- It is not clear if the hormones in Climara Pro increase the risk of ovarian cancer. Some studies have shown an increased risk, while others have not.
- Climara Pro can make endometriosis symptoms worse.
- Climara Pro can interact with a number of different medications (see Climara Pro Drug Interactions).
- The medication should not be used during pregnancy (see Climara Pro and Pregnancy).
- The hormones in Climara Pro pass through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Climara Pro and Breastfeeding).