Climara Pro Uses
Climara Pro is used for treating moderate to severe night sweats or hot flashes and for preventing osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Because the drug contains a progestin hormone, it should only be used in women who still have a uterus. Also, this prescription medication should only be used for the shortest time necessary when treating menopausal symptoms. Off-label Climara Pro uses including treating other menopause-related symptoms.
What Is Climara Pro Used For? -- An OverviewClimara Pro® (estradiol/levonorgestrel patch) is a prescription medication. It contains an estrogen (estradiol) and a progestin (levonorgestrel) in a skin patch. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the following Climara Pro uses:
- Treatment of moderate to severe night sweats or hot flashes due to menopause
- Prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.
Climara Pro is only for women who still have a uterus (who have not had a hysterectomy). If you have had a hysterectomy, the levonorgestrel component is usually considered unnecessary.
Using Climara Pro for Menopause SymptomsMenopause is a normal change in a woman's life when she stops having her period. Technically, a woman has reached menopause when she has not had a period for 12 months in a row and there are no other causes for this change. Menopause symptoms include:
- Hot flashes (hot flushes)
- Night sweats and sleeping problems, including insomnia
- Vaginal changes, such as dryness or irritation
- Changes in your period, including abnormal bleeding or "spotting"
- Mood changes
- Urinary problems
- Weight gain or an increase in body fat around your waist
- Thinning and weakening of your bones
- Problems with concentration or memory
- Less interest in sex and changes in sexual response
- Hair thinning or loss.
For some women, these symptoms are quite severe and some form of menopause relief may be necessary. This may include medications, natural menopause relief remedies, or non-medical ways to deal with the symptoms.
For menopause treatment, Climara Pro should be used at the lowest effective dose for the shortest period necessary.