If you are taking Cenestin and the medication is causing bothersome side effects or is not adequately controlling your symptoms, there are alternatives to the medication. These alternatives to Cenestin include other conventional medications, coping strategies, and natural remedies. Although medications are not always the answer for treating symptoms of menopause, there is insufficient information available on whether natural Cenestin alternatives are as safe as conventional medications.
Alternatives to Cenestin: An OverviewCenestin® (conjugated estrogens) is a prescription hormone replacement medication used to treat menopausal symptoms. For most women, Cenestin is effective and well tolerated. However, as with all medicines, bothersome or dangerous side effects can occur, or Cenestin may not adequately control your symptoms. Also, for some women, the risks of taking Cenestin may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to Cenestin for menopause treatment, including:
- Other conventional medications
- Coping strategies
- Natural remedies.
Other Conventional Medications as Cenestin AlternativesThere are many different estrogen medications that can serve as alternatives to Cenestin. These estrogens are available in many different forms, including:
- Oral tablets -- Enjuvia™, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.
In addition, there are also many combination products (which combine estrogen with other hormones), such as:
- Estrogen plus a progestin -- Activella®, Angeliq®, Climara Pro®, CombiPatch®, femhrt®, Premphase®, Prempro™
- Estrogen plus a testosterone -- Covaryx™, Estratest®.