Although most women do not experience problems while taking Activella, alternatives for the medication are available if your symptoms do not improve or if you experience bothersome side effects. Notify your healthcare provider if the drug does not work for you so that he or she can recommend alternatives to Activella. Alternatives may include other conventional medications, natural remedies, or coping strategies.
Activella® (estradiol/norethindrone) is a prescription hormone replacement medication. Although it is also approved for osteoporosis prevention in postmenopausal women, Activella is most often used to treat menopause symptoms. For most women, the drug works well, without causing significant side effects. However, as with all medicines, Activella may not adequately control your symptoms or may cause dangerous or bothersome side effects. Also, for some women, the risks of taking the drug may outweigh the potential benefits. Fortunately, several alternatives to Activella are available for menopause treatment, including
- Other conventional medications
- Natural remedies
- Coping strategies.
(Mimvey™ is a generic version of Activella. Therefore, the information in this article also applies to Mimvey.)
Activella contains an estrogen and a progestin hormone. Other estrogen/progestin combination hormone replacement therapy medications include:
Other options include medications that combine estrogens and a testosterone, such as:
For women without a uterus (those who have had a hysterectomy), estrogen without a progestin is a good option, since the progestin component is usually considered unnecessary for such women. These estrogen-only Activella alternatives include:
- Oral tablets -- Cenestin®, Enjuvia™, Estrace®, Femtrace®, Menest®, Ogen®, Premarin®
- Vaginal tablets -- Vagifem®
- Patches -- Alora®, Climara®, Estraderm®, Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®
- Injections -- Delestrogen®, Depo®-Estradiol
- Vaginal creams or gels -- Estrace® Vaginal Cream, Ogen® Vaginal Cream, Premarin® Vaginal Cream
- Gels, creams, or lotions applied to the skin -- Divigel®, Elestrin™, Estrasorb®, EstroGel®
- Vaginal rings -- Estring®, Femring®
- Spray (absorbed through the skin) -- Evamist™.